These are the excerpts that hit home the most.
- To design a spacecraft right takes an infinite amount of effort. This is why it’s a good idea to design them to operate when some things are wrong .
- At the start of any design effort, the person who most wants to be team leader is least likely to be capable of it.
- There is never a single right solution. There are always multiple wrong ones, though.
- Design is based on requirements. There’s no justification for designing something one bit “better” than the requirements dictate.
- A bad design with a good presentation is doomed eventually. A good design with a bad presentation is doomed immediately.
- (von Tiesenhausen’s Law of Engineering Design) If you want to have a maximum effect on the design of a new engineering system, learn to draw. Engineers always wind up designing the vehicle to look like the initial artist’s concept.
- (McBryan’s Law) You can’t make it better until you make it work.